Sunday 21 October 2012

Harry Potter





My Harry Potter Sequence

In my Harry Potter sequence I used dark and mysterious music for the extract because I think the theme and genre of film is very magical and threatening. The Dementors that are introduced at the beginning of the sequence made me use more of a terrestrial sound during some parts of the sequence, and highlighted the wind sounds to show darkness and an 'out of this world' experience.

I used very simple music for this part in particular because I wanted to make the action very significant. Also because the profile of Harry is very underwhelming and lonely, I felt it was a parallel sound.

I wanted to use very irregular sounds for the Dementors sequence because it creates a mystical effect and changes the whole feel of the opening to a much more hostile environment of fear and tension. I feel the sequence was a lot more horror until the Dementors sequence came on which became depressive and mystical.

I felt that the short amount of editing I did was very effective, the timing from the land shot to harry walking up to the park has accurate timing. As the Warner Brothers slowly erupted and the Harry Potter thundered in letters, I used very deep tones to highlight the darkness of the theme. Using more than one sound in this part in particular benefited the sequence as the moving image was parallel to its sound.


I found garage band hard to use as it was very technical and detailed. They had a large variety of sound but it was very time consuming finding one specific sound as there are so many themes to choose from. I found lengthening the sound very difficult as I had to split it when there was no solution, this was a negative attribute to my sequence as it made the music jump start instead of flow. 


I thought for the first time I did well, however in comparison to others I feel it was a lot less advanced and I could have done a lot more in the time we had available. To improve it I would get dialogue for the talking scenes which would make it seem a lot more advanced and do more sounds from the swing scene on wards.  On the other hand it was a very helpful experience and a vital tool of sound editing in media.

1 comment:

  1. Some good ideas here - you express them well and use new terminology accurately. You have thought about the effect on the audience. How effective is your sequence? What could you have done to improve it? These are good evaluation questions, esp for higher grades. A good start - 'blog is looking good girl' :)) ...
    Watch your i for I - this does go to the exam board for assessment so use SE :)

    ReplyDelete